Managing Your Play
Keeping gambling fun and safe can mean gambling only with the money you can afford to lose. Click through on the links for some practical advice on setting a budget and sticking to it. (BCLC does not endorse any of the services offered on these sites.)
Once you have a budget in place, here are a few suggestions that may help you stick to it while gambling.
- Use the budget tools on PlayNow.com
- Only take cash with you to the casino. With your cards stashed at home, you won’t be tempted to spend more than you budgeted for.
- Use your Encore card or PlayNow account history to monitor how much you’re spending.
- Going ‘over budget’ happens sometimes. Try to stay flexible and update your budget regularly to reflect actual spending
Gambling is a form of entertainment, and like other entertainment offerings, it can provide an escape from the realities of every day life. But whereas a movie has a definitive end, gambling can be available 24/7. It’s up to you to determine how much time you can afford to spend gambling, and to stick to your time limit.
Here are some practical tips on how to stick to your time limit:
- Use your phone - Smart phones often have timers on them. Set the timer and take a break when the buzzer goes off. You can stretch your legs for a few minutes, have a coffee or a bite to eat, or head home.
- Ask a friend to call you at a certain time. When the phone rings, you know someone is expecting to talk to you, not your voicemail.
Play for fun, not to make money.
Know how the game works and what the odds are before playing.
Set a budget and stick to it.
Don't chase losses. Accept them as the cost of entertainment.
Balance gambling with other types of leisure activities.
Take frequent breaks.
Set a time limit before you play.
How the Games Work - Texas Hold ’em, Omaha & Seven Card Stud
Learn the differences of the variant games of Poker, including Texas Hold ’em, Omaha an...
How the Games Work - Fortune Pai Gow
Fortune Pai Gow is played using a deck of 52 cards, plus one Joker. To win, you must be...
Want to make Sense of it all?
The more you know, the better equipped you are to keep it fun.
The Voluntary Self-Exclusion Program can be an important first step in helping you to c...
How the Games Work - Pai Gow Tiles
Pai Gow Tiles is a game of Chinese Dominoes played with thirty-two dominoes, dealt by t...
How the Games Work - Texas Hold ’em Bonus Poker
To win at Texas Hold ’em Bonus, you must be the player with the best five-card poker ha...