Talking to Seniors About Gambling
Gambling can be a fun, social activity for a lot of seniors. And many find the right balance between gambling and other aspects of their lives, like golf, reading, fishing and family. But the fact is, seniors are faced with some unique factors that could increase their risks of developing a problem with gambling.
- Increased leisure time in retirement, which could potentially lead seniors to gamble more than intended.
- A decline in income brought on by the transition to a fixed retirement budget, which can increase the impact of gambling losses.
- Major life changes that could lead seniors to gamble to escape other problems.
Spot the Signs
Problem gambling behaviour isn't always easy to see. But there are certain signs to look out for. Seniors may be developing a problem if they:
- Start to spend more of their leisure time gambling
- Lie about how much they're gambling
- Neglect other responsibilities and obligations
- Ask to borrow money
- Use gambling as an escape or distraction
- Believe a big win is just around the corner
Have a Conversation
The best way to check in on the senior in your life is by opening a dialogue. Here are some tips to help start the conversation:
- Seniors welcome direct communication. If you notice that a senior in your life is going to the casino more often, ask them why.
- Try asking them what leisure activities they engage in. If gambling comes up, it provides an opportunity to talk further.
- Many seniors are not aware of the resources available to them. Let them know that there's a confidential, round-the-clock support available for them, should they need it.
- A lot of gamblers misunderstand odds. Discuss the odds of the games they play. For more information about these games visit our Publications Library.
We're Here to Help
If you think a senior in your life has a problem with gambling, we can help. Visit a GameSense Info Centre at any casino or community gaming centre for more tips, resources and suggestions to make gambling safer. Or you can call the Problem Gambling Help Line at 1-888-795-6111. There you’ll find someone to talk to 24 hours a day.
Play for fun, not to make money.
Know how the game works and what the odds are before playing.
Set a budget and stick to it.
Don't chase losses. Accept them as the cost of entertainment.
Balance gambling with other types of leisure activities.
Take frequent breaks.
Set a time limit before you play.
How the Games Work - Pai Gow Tiles
Pai Gow Tiles is a game of Chinese Dominoes played with thirty-two dominoes, dealt by t...
How the Games Work - Texas Hold ’em Bonus Poker
To win at Texas Hold ’em Bonus, you must be the player with the best five-card poker ha...
How the Games Work - Texas Hold ’em, Omaha & Seven Card Stud
Learn the differences of the variant games of Poker, including Texas Hold ’em, Omaha an...
How the Games Work - Roulette
The roulette wheel consists of numbers 1-36, alternately coloured red and black, plus 0...
Want to make Sense of it all?
The more you know, the better equipped you are to keep it fun.
How the Games Work - Slot Machines
Slot machines operate randomly. This is due to a Random Number Generator (RNG) inside e...